Music: Federico Aubele, Gran Hotel Buenos Aires
Menu: Jalapeno Poppers, Tortilla and Black Bean Pie with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa
So, this year Cinco happened to fall on a Tuesday, which is hell day for me and BJ. BJ works 8am – 8pm and doesn’t get home till 8:30. I work my usual 9 hour day and the dogs are home alone all day. So, if, if, if I get outta work by 5, I rush home, take the girls on a walk and then usually cook until beej gets home. Needless to say, this year’s Cinco festivities were sub par, but I was able to find a few quick and easy recipes to whip up in no time!
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 TB EVOO
- 1 large onion, chopped – I used a red onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tspn. cumin
- S & P
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed or 1 1/2 cups of cooked black beans
- 12 ounces of beer (or 1 1/2 cups of water or stock) – I used Negra Modelo
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional/garnish – scallions, cilantro, sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 400. Trim tortillas to fit a 9-inch springform pan, using the bottom of the pan as a guide and a paring knife.
- Heat EVOO in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, red pepper, garlic, and cumin, S & P and cook stirring occasionally until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add beans and beer to skillet and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in corn and scallions and season with S & P, if necessary.
- Fit a trimmed tortilla into springform pan. Layer with 1/4 of the bean mixture and 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat three times, using last cup of cheese on top layer. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the top is browned.
- Let rest for 5-7 minutes and carefully unmold pie. Sprinkle with scallions/cilantro.
- To serve, cut into wedges, and serve sour cream and salsa on the side (and maybe one of the Negra’s from the 6-pack you HAD to buy!).