Menu: I CANNOT have Caesar without garlic bread.
Usually, I’m not an ingredient snob. Like when it mentions, a high quality EVOO, psssht, I just use my regular stuff. Or cheese…cheapest always wins my heart! However, I will tell you I am a snob about my caesar salad. I’ve had to make it with other ingredients before and still tastes good and everything, but the greatness of this recipe is unachievable without a quality anchovy paste and whole grain mustard. These are my go to brands and they truly make the dressing (with lots of garlic, of course).
- 1 large head of romaine lettuce, washed and torn into big pieces
- 2 tspn. whole grain, stone ground mustard
- 1/2 tspn. anchovy paste
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tspn. worcestershire sauce
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- S & P
- Dash of tabasco
- 1 TB plain, fat free yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Parmesan shavings for garnish
- Using the back of a spoon, crush the mustard grains, so they pop (you can hear them).
- Add the anchovy paste and garlic. If the garlic is not finely minced, you can use the same technique as the mustard and help crush the garlic even more. Stir mustard, paste, and garlic to form a paste.
- Add worcestershire, vinegar, S & P, tabasco, and yogurt to paste. Stir until well combined.
- TASTE – if the dressing is too sour, try adding a little more yogurt. If it’s too bland, try some more vinegar or worcestershire. The more you make the dressing, the easier it is to identify what is off.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Add dressing to lettuce and toss to combine. Top with shaving and devour.